Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's Up Tiger Lily?

No I'm not about to review a Woody Allen film..........I'm confused as to why you did not bloom last year. You were planted in the back garden 3 years ago and bloomed the first year. Nothing last year, not even a plant stock and I was bummed. This year there are 3 of you, so that's what I'm wondering and asking what's up Tiger Lily? What were you doing last year that you could not make the scene. Were you holding out for something? Was there something you wanted and I did not give you. Ask around the garden I really do not give to much in that department. You are quite beautiful, I'm glad you showed up and made your presents known.


I'm one that does not start digging around in the beds to see what is going on with plants that do not return. If I had I would not have these beauties coming up this year. Sometimes you just have to let nature do what it is going to allow, sit back and enjoy what you get at the time.

Lilium lancifolium which at one time was L. tigrinum, but you know how the botanical world is. Lets give one plant about 10 different names or change the name so not even the novice gardener has a clue as to what they are growing or looking for. No lets give a couple of plants the same name. Stop already. Anyway the Tiger Lily is native to northern and eastern Asia, including Japan. Grows to a height of 5' to 6' tall with wonderful downward facing recurved flowers of orange to red-orange in color with purple-black freckling. Maybe it should be called the Leopard Lily??????? Basic water needs, grows in any soil type, and needs full sun. It is one of the main species used in breeding of the Asiatic hybrids.


USDA hardiness zone 3 to zone 9

1 comment:

  1. I will always have a place in my heart for these beauties...my grandma had a patch of them when I was younger and I remember it was almost like magic how they would seem to suddenly appear...loved how exotic they looked!

    ReplyDelete