Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sharon Pollen

Hibiscus syriacus



The bees have been working on the Rose of Sharon tree like crazy. Its a tree I planted about 3 or 4 years ago and is at a height of about 10 feet now. I have never liked it, because it is not the color I was told it was (lite pink was on the tag). I was wanting a lite pink or white with a pink center. Lite purple a dime a dozen..........The one thing about the flowers is they remind me of Hollyhocks, which is another plant I have never had luck with. I even tried the hardy Hibiscus here and it died. I do not care how hardy they say they are, they are not!

The Rose of Sharon flowers in late summer to fall when few other shrubs are in bloom. Flower colors include blue, pink, red, lavender, purple, and white, depending on the variety. Most varieties grow 8 to 12 feet tall and 6 to 10 feet wide.
The flowers are produced on new wood, so prune in early spring to shape and reduce size. If you prune the shrub back to 2 to 3 buds per branch in spring, it will encourage larger flowers. Plant in a location for full sun to light shade. The Rose of Sharon prefers heat, and do well even in hot humid weather, also tolerating some drought, once established. Native to India and East Asia, it is the national flower of Korea.

USDA hardiness zone 5 to zone 9

3 comments:

  1. Wait just a second!!! When did you turn on comments on your blog? I've wanted to comment so many times but not been able to...

    So on to the subject at hand. I planted a Rose of Sharon two springs back, it's only about 5 feet tall. I love it because it is so exotic for me coming from zone 5, and it reminds me of our rental house from when we first moved here to Portland. I'm sorry about the color of yours, I would feel the same way, I lucked out with white flowers with a dark magenta center.

    ReplyDelete