Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Snapdragon Tree

Chilopsis linearis
Desert Willow

Derived from the Greek words cheilos meaning "lip," and opsis meaning "resembling," referring to the flowers.

I have this planted in the side garden by the street. Its about 6' and 3 years old. A great plant that is drought tolerant and puts on a great flower show. Because of Portland being on the edge of zonal denial, I have always feared that this plant would not make it, but it is doing great. Its even planted on an exposed east area and is brave against the gorge wind. I have read listings from others that are in low zones that are growing this and not having any problems.

A large, multi-stemmed, deciduous shrub or small tree native to southwestern North America and northern Mexico that is capable of growing to a height of 30 feet. The narrow leaves are reminiscent of willow leaves. The Penstemon like flowers appear in May (later here) and keep coming on until September or frost are 1 1/2" to 2" in length, showy, fragrant, and colors range from Pink, Rose/Mauve, Magenta (Pink-Purple), Bright Yellow, Purple, and White/Near White.

USDA hardiness zone (6 root hardy) 7 to zone 9

3 comments:

  1. That is a stunner! What is the fragrance like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott......I find it a very lite and not very sweet, maybe lighter colors are stronger in fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there...so your comment on my blog about the Agave desmettiana "you should have asked" has me wondering if you aren't maybe the fellow who came to my HPSO workshop but I didn't get a chance to talk to? I'll feel like a real heel if it was you! (well I feel like a real heel anyway that there were people I didn't officially meet). Just curious. And of course now you've got me wondering what IS in the Death Valley Shack!!!

    ReplyDelete